Sylvie
Having said that there was no sewing in Sicily and southern Italy I have discovered something exceptionnal.

We drove to Tiriolo. This is a village high up in the montain. Actually it is the only place in Italy where you can see the seas on both side of Italy. Very very high. The road to get up there is quite something. SSSSS non stop.

There was a lady I visited that did research on traditionnal Italian costumes. She reproduced them using the traditionnal fabric and the traditionnal manner.












One of the piece is called a vancali. This is like a shawl. She was doing some when I visited and I bought what she was doing. I am always cold at the office and I may bring it there.











What has impressed me the most is the machine embroidery she does.Could you believe this was done using a 100 years old Singer (treadle). She continued one that was started to show me and she is so quick (about 100 miles per hour). I have a video of it and should post it soon.

I am very happy to have met this fabulous lady and will keep good memories of Mirella and the work she does.

Sylvie
3 Responses
  1. Kath Says:

    Wow! That embroidery is amazing! I can't wait to see your shawl...


  2. What a beautiful experience! I'm going to forward your blog on to a weaver friend who will likely enjoy the photos. Congrats also on putting your photos up.


  3. Sylvie, how about a blog item on your sewing machine collection that Kath mentioned?